German Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad).
You can cook German Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad) using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of German Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad)
- Prepare of Cooking the potatoes:.
- Prepare 1 bag of new potatoes, sliced in half.
- Prepare 7-8 cups of cold water (enough water to cover and cook potatoes).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of fine salt (add to the water for cooking potatoes).
- It’s of Potato dressing:.
- Prepare 1 of medium white or red onion, finely sliced (depending on preference).
- Prepare 8-10 of pickled cornichons, finely sliced.
- It’s of To taste, salt and ground white pepper.
- You need 1/2-1 cup of mayonnaise (add more or less depending on preference).
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of Thomy mustard (or Dijon mustard. Add more or less depending on preference).
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar (add more or less depending on preference).
- It’s of For garnish:.
- Prepare Handful of chives (optional).
German Kartoffelsalat (German potato salad) instructions
- Wash the potatoes and drain excess water in a colander. Cut the potatoes in half and set aside..
- In a large pot, add cold water. Place the potatoes in the pot and add salt. Cover pot with a lid and bring up to the boil. Once the water has boiled, remove the lid and cook potatoes until soft, roughly 10 minutes..
- To test if potatoes are cooked, use a pointed knife and poke a potato with the tip. If it goes in and slides out easily, the potatoes are ready. Turn off the heat and drain potatoes in a colander. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to let them cool down..
- Meanwhile, finely slice the onion and place into a mixing bowl. Then finely slice the cornichons and transfer to the same bowl..
- Once the potatoes have cooled down, add to the mixing bowl with the onions and cornichons and mix together..
- Now add mayonnaise and a dollop of mustard (I used Thomy mustard). Stir together. Add white ground pepper and salt to taste and gently incorporate together..
- Lastly, add the white wine vinegar. Mix well and taste the potato salad. Adjust taste if needed (add more mayo, salt or white pepper, depending on preference). Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with finely cut chives (if adding)..
- Place in fridge for an hour or two or eat immediately (depending on preference). Eat the potato salad as a side dish, with any kind of meat. I love eating it with pork schnitzel or sausages..