Frico – cheese, onion and potato pie. I like to use my Oxo mandolin slicer for this task! Heat a skillet on medium and add the olive oil. Frico – Italian Potato Pie Recipe.
Drain the potatoes well and put them through a ricer into a large bowl (this will give you smooth, lump-free mash but you can use a standard potato masher if you prefer). Add the onion, cheese, some salt and a good pinch of white pepper. In a large bowl, combine the green onions, cheese, slightly cooled potato, and parsley. You can have Frico – cheese, onion and potato pie using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Frico – cheese, onion and potato pie
- Prepare 500 g of potatoes.
- Prepare 250 g of montasio cheese or similar.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s Knob of butter.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
Bind with the creme fraiche and season with salt and. It is delicious and simple to make. This also reheats well the next day. Enjoy with a nice glass of Pino Grigio.
Frico – cheese, onion and potato pie instructions
- Peel, chop and boil potatoes in lightly salted water. Drain when cooked then crush with a fork. Don't mash them as you want them to have some texture. Chop the onion finely and dice the cheese into little cubes.
- Heat butter and oil in a small pan. Soften onion for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes on top and then the cheese and black pepper. Mix altogether with a fork then press down all over with the back of a spoon.
- Cook on low to medium heat for about 8-10 mins. You want it fairly crispy on the bottom. If you're brave enough to flip it, flip over and brown other side. If not finish off under the grill. Leave to rest for 5 minutes or so before serving. It's heaven! 😍.
Place the potatoes into a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Mix together the creme fraiche and double cream. It can be hard to make a vegetable dish the main deal. Pies are your best bet as they can be decorated to look beautiful. This is inspired by the Lancashire cheese and onion pie, though I've added potatoes so it's more substantial.